UK production facility Crest Rise focuses on S8/i FF manufacture, while Beijing Creative Centre provides support for important cinematic region
Leicester, UK – 21st September 2022 – Cooke Optics is pleased to announce its major investment in two important facilities and several new staff appointments to support its ongoing global growth.
Crest Rise, a 600m2 production facility located near to the existing factory in Leicester, UK, was specifically commissioned to facilitate a fast introduction of the new S8/i FF T1.4 range, with the aim of achieving annual outputs significantly in excess of any previous Cooke product range. The S8/i FF spherical lenses, at T1.4, are among the fastest lenses available for full frame capture, providing cinematographers with excellent low light performance as well as great control over depth of field for full frame production. In response to customer feedback, they are also smaller and lighter than contemporary Cooke lenses, while producing optimal image quality and pleasing images that convey the sought-after Cooke LookÔ.
This product range requires a different methodology to produce than other Cooke lenses, as it has been specially designed for the digital camera environment. The facility has adopted a three-tier level approach to environmental control, with all areas positively pressured to minimise contamination during the assembly processes. It features specific MTF (modulation transfer function), projection and camera tests, all employed to ensure that the lenses are finely tuned to exact parameters, but without losing the hand-built craftsmanship for which Cooke is known. The facility has been designed with expansion in mind, ready for the implementation of the remaining focal lengths that will make up the complete S8/i FF range of 16 lenses, and Cooke has recruited an additional 12 staff into the assembly process, with a further six staff into the glass production group.
Cooke is also opening a new Creative Centre located at Chaowai SOHO, in the Chaoyang district of Beijing, headed by Technical Sales Manager, Anson Gil Mercado. It incorporates an in-house studio where customers can test a wide variety of Cooke lenses, as well as meeting rooms and a lounge area for events. The Centre has opened with a three-day Open House (from 21-23 September), where guests are able to experience Cooke lenses in action, learn some Cooke history and get their questions answered by Cooke experts. This is the second regional Cooke facility to open in recent months, following the successful launch of the Burbank facility in Los Angeles, USA in July.
Tim Pugh, CEO, Cooke Optics, said, “Our investment in facilities that improve production and regional outreach are the cornerstone to better supporting our customers worldwide. The S8/i FF production facility will allow us to get premium lenses into the hands of our customers far quicker than has been achieved previously, while our new Creative Centre in Beijing allows local film makers to try out our different lens ranges in a relaxed environment, with experts on hand.”
Cooke has also appointed several key positions as it continues to grow globally.
- Daniela Kesselem hasjoined Cooke in the new role of Chief Product Officer. Daniela’s extensive experience includes roles as Director of Product Management both at Leitz and Schneider Optics. In her new role, Daniela will lead the development, planning and implementation of the new product roadmap. Daniela is based in Germany.
- Peter Dorai joins Cooke as Director of Sales for India, Africa, and the Middle East. His most recent role was Sales Manager for Zeiss in India. Peter’s vast market knowledge and broad customer relations will allow Cooke to expand its presence in this growing geographical market.
- Carey Duffy moves to the new role of Director of Product Experiences, after over six years as Director of Sales – Europe. In his new role Carey will support sales through enabling deeper product engagement with cinematographers, key European customers, and press.
- Jaimie Cluer has joined the Cooke sales team in the role of European Account Manager. With over 10 years of experience in lens production at Cooke, Jaimie’s extensive product knowledge will be immensely helpful to customers.
- Chris D’Anna has joined Cooke in the new role of Technical Sales Representative in the new Burbank, LA office. Chris worked most recently at Schneider Optics in a variety of capacities from sales to marketing. In his role he will support customers on the US West Coast.
About Cooke Optics, LTD
Cooke is a storied name in both cinematographic and ultra-high-end professional photography markets. Known worldwide for their precision, exacting tolerances and superior quality, Cooke lenses are specified by many of the world’s most respected cinematographers. Cooke is also the developer behind /i Technology, the protocol enabling vital lens and camera information to be captured and passed digitally to post-production teams. Cooke was honoured with a 2013 Academy Award® of Merit (an Oscar® statuette) for its continuing innovation in the design, development and manufacture of motion picture camera lenses.
Features in production or recently shot with Cooke lenses include Purple Hearts, Nine Bullets, Chaperone, The Last Thing Mary Saw, We Are Lady Parts, Mayday, Birds of Paradise, The Forgiven, Sixth Reel, No Loss // No Gain, The Marksman, Fugitive Dreams, Supernova, I Still Breathe, Legacy of Lies, I Know This Much is True, Pinocchio, Onward, Toy Story 4, Birds of Prey: and the Fantabulous Emancipation of Harley Quinn, Motherless Brooklyn, Sweetheart, Vice, Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star Is Born, Venom, Call Me By Your Name, Stan and Ollie, Darkest Hour, Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House. Television shows in production or recently shot with Cooke lenses include, Original Fare, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, King of Boys: The Return of the King, The Gilded Age, In From the Cold, Guilt: Series 2, Star Trek; Discovery, Power Book III: Raising Kanan, Kevin Can F**K Himself, Meet Your Master, Below Zero, Fate: The Winx Saga, Behind Her Eyes, Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar, A Suitable Boy, The Mess You Leave Behind, Flight Attendant, The Chosen, The Great, HALIFAX: Retribution, The Luminaries, Lost in Space, Star Girl, Dead to Me, Save Me Too, Insecure, Dark Crystal, Star Trek: Picard, Peaky Blinders, Osmosis, Top Boy, David Makes Man, Catch-22, The Perfection, Ozark, Gentleman Jack, Free Rein, Skam France, Doctor Who, Fleabag, Kevin (Probably) Saves the World, The Crossing, The Crown, Westworld, Poldark, Game of Thrones, Midsomer Murders, Orange is the New Black and Fargo.